Individuals with very significant needs for support can successfully live on their own because support services are not required to decrease over time, as in Independent Living Services.
Supported Living Services are also designed to enable individuals served to have maximum control over the services they receive. Consumers (with assistance from an SLS agency as needed) participate in interviews and have decision making power over hiring and firing of their direct support staff.
Admission criteria for SLS are:
- At least 18 years;
- Male or female;
- Have a diagnosis of developmental disabilities/mental health issues;
- Have a desire to receive SLS;
- Must be a Regional Center consumer;
- Dual Diagnosis;
- Deaf/hard of hearing; and
- Level of mental retardation can be from severe to borderline intellectual functioning.